08 November 2007

Dept. of Corrections

Dear The New Criterion,

In the current issue Jeffrey Hart writes:
Jacques Barzun was so eminent a figure that it is surprising to me that he remained so accessible and encouraging to much younger men. Then and now, when I think of Barzun, I recall the Oxford clerihew about the great classicist and polymath Benjamin Jowett:

My name is Jowett
Of Balliol College;
If I don’t know it,
It is not knowledge.
Alas, that is not a clerihew. Neither is it an accurate quotation. The famous verse about Jowett was:
First come I. My name is Jowett.
There's no knowledge but I know it.
I am the Master of this College,
What I don't know isn't knowledge
While we’re at it, the January 2006 issue arrived in my mailbox minus its cover. While vandalism perpetrated by a Leftist postal worker can’t be ruled out (why are so many postal workers Communists?), it seems likely the missing cover is the result of a mishap at the printing plant. I would be much obliged if an intact copy were sent as a replacement.

Thank you,

CVC

3 comments:

  1. You shouldn't subscribe, much less read, that scurrilous rag The New Criterion, with its pretentious intellectuals and lousy poetry. In fact, that very magazine REJECTED several poems of mine, and I was not awarded the New Criterion Poetry Prize! So that is what you get, and probably also why they tore the cover off your magazine--which was not done by Communists (there are no Communists, it is the right-wingers making you paranoid again), but by interns from The New Criterion, that scurrilous rag, trying to harass my few readers. Forgive me, I am a little peaked this afternoon, I just got three novels I had forgotten I even wrote back in the mail. And now I am going to have to get a job the bookstore! Talk about Corrections . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Though to be serious for a moment, there are Communists everywhere and the TNC has seemed to have declined. And a lot of the poetry they publish is disapointing, though this month has some new translations of Horace. How can you not like that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just looked out the window, and I didn't see any Communists. That's enough for me. Sorry to hear about Mr.Williams' incredible difficulties. But it is his own fault, I suspect. He should try to be more obscure, like me.

    ReplyDelete