Equilebriated amid the embracings of a monopolized bottle

I had to read this story twice before I could understand it:
Smoking Seems To Increase Brain Damage In Alcoholics

Alcoholics who smoke appear to lose more brain mass than alcoholics who don't smoke, according to a study at the San Francisco VA Medical Center.

It is already well-known that the brains of long-term alcoholics atrophy and shrink, the study authors say, but the new findings are the first evidence that cigarette smoking might contribute to that atrophy, particularly in grey matter of the parietal and temporal lobes.
And as far as I can tell there’s nothing a reasonable a person can do to avoid it either. The only hope is to be one of the lucky exceptions, like James Joyce, whose mind never exhibited any sign of deterioration despite a lifetime of excessive drinking and smoking.

Comments

  1. Cozy Dozy. Right....clearly his halluxes are splendid!

    quote from Finnegans Wake....


    the way
    he thought, by the holy januarious, he had a bullock's hoof in his
    buskin, with his halluxes so splendid, through Ireland untran-
    scended, bigmouthed poesther, propped up, restant, against a
    butterblond warden of the peace, one comestabulish Sigurdsen,
    (and where a better than such exsearfaceman to rest from roving
    the laddyown he bootblacked?) who, buried upright like the
    Osbornes, kozydozy, had tumbled slumbersomely on sleep at
    night duty behind the curing station, equilebriated amid the
    embracings of a monopolized bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. STAG, I've seen computer translated German that makes as much sense as this. More proof that Joyce was ahead of his time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read a page of FW at random I find it funny. But a page or two is about all I can take. And I'm going to start saying "equilebriated".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, come now Rob, its as plain as the nose on yer face. All he says is...

    Damn, am I ever hung over! Here I am waking up behind the curing station, propping up a drunk policeman, (who DIDN'T share his bottle I see!) and my feet have gone to sleep.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

More Brief Reviews of Movies I haven’t Seen