I recently stumbled across this disturbing article:
No explanation for mystery gas cloud Things are back to normal in Kittery, after a mysterious cloud of gas floated over the city Monday morning, causing several stores and the town's high school to be evacuated..( more )
I wonder, what were the whereabouts of female impersonator and third-rate journalist Garance Franke-Ruta on the day in question? In a recent item published on the webpage of little read magazine The American Prospect , Mr. Franke-Ruta, clearly suffering from envy, has taken it upon himself to attack the brilliant Steve Sailer because Sailer was quoted in the New York Times (apparently no one at the New York Times will take notice of the journalism of poor Mr. Garance Franke-Ruta, despite his pretending to be a woman). But the attack is nothing more than an odorous gas cloud. Mr. Franke-Ruta's accuses the New York Times of being "shoddy" for mentioning Sailer, and calls Sailer's opinio...
It was T.S. Eliot himself who couldn't bear much reality, as his timid, almost unbearable poetry makes clear. Eliot was no prophet, but only a dour and lonely pessimist with a instinct for plagerism, and a taste for sophmoric equivocation. It is amazing to me that people still think of him as a great poet. Of course he wrote before television; I doubt if he could have comprehended the paradoxes in that news story you found from Uraquay.
ReplyDeleteI'm won't go as far as you in damning Eliot without greater consideration. But I'm not going to defend him either. Both would require re-reading all his poems, and that is something I'm unwilling to do.
ReplyDeleteIn order to source that quote I did read 'Burnt Norton' again, it was worse than the only previous time I didn't enjoy reading it many years ago. I don't know what his point is, all it makes me think of is congealed grease.
Conversely (perversely?), I'm a great admirer of his criticism.
"Congealed grease" is an appropriate image to describe the feeling of sickness and constriction and the experience of slippery logic that must accompany all readers of Eliot's fakey Quartets. By the way, whatever ensued from your request to read "The Modern Epoch", which I dutifully passed along to that poem's author?
ReplyDeleteI've been planning on sending some well crafted comments on "The Modern Epoch", I just haven't had the time or the focus (there hasn't been much written here lately, either). But I plan on doing so, I was impressed by much of TME, and found certain parts of it brilliant.
ReplyDelete