We’re All Foreigners There

I laughed when Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni announced his dream of going to the moon (“We must also go there and say: ‘What are you people doing up here?’”). At the time, I had no idea he owned a $48 million private plane, purchased using money given to him by the US and EU. Now he is using $22 million in foreign aid to buy seven supersonic fighter jets Ugandans can’t fly or maintain. Our generosity, then, may have caused Museveni to believe Western nations will someday buy him a rocket ship. I’m starting to believe it myself.

Comments

  1. I had assumed your rocket link was going to be to astronaut jones. I had forgotten how restrictive NBC was with copyrighted materials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I've got that song stuck in my head. I figured Moon Zero Two would surprise people, also I enjoy watching movies of obvious scale models.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If they go, I hope they at least bring back some cheese. All we got last time were some stupid rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Indeed, the moon is the entire source and cause of motion in liquids, so that it not only regulates the waters of the ocean, but in animal life influences the marrow in the bones, the brains in the head, and the juices of trees and plants in proportion to its increase or decrease." - Giraldus Cambrensis.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

More Brief Reviews of Movies I haven’t Seen